Orthodontics – what is it?
Orthodontics involves the wearing of braces. These can be either fixed or removable. This works to improve the alignment and function of the teeth. If you have crooked, crowded, missing or prominent teeth, an orthodontic treatment might be for you. Orthodontic treatment isn’t just for kids. Discrete, clear braces have now become a popular option for adults too.
Why might I need Orthodontic treatment?
- Improve the alignment of the teeth
- Improve the health of the mouth and gums
Improve the function of the teeth
Types of treatment
An orthodontist can carry out work that aims to achieve the following:
- closing wide gaps between the teeth
- aligning the tips of the teeth
- straightening crooked teeth
- improving speech or chewing ability
- boosting the long-term health of gums and teeth
- preventing long-term excessive wear or trauma of the teeth
- treating an improper bite
What are the benefits of Orthodontic treatment?
- Orthodontics can improve the appearance and function of your teeth
- Speech and chewing ability can be improved
- Straighter teeth make it easier to brush and maintain a good oral hygiene routine
- If orthodontic problems are left untreated, they can damage the jawbone and gums
- What are Retainers & Are They Mandatory ?
- After completion of fixed orthodontic therapy the teeth need to be stabilized and held in their new found positionwith the help of specialized appliances called retainers. This phase of treatment is called retention.
- Retainers are absolutely mandatorytill the teeth have stabilized in the bone. Don’t worry… retainers are now available in esthetic forms such as removable clear plastic trays to thin – sleek options which are fixed on the inner surface of teeth.
- The retention period varies from individual to individualand is decided by the Orthodontist.
- It is absolutely imperative to follow your retention protocol.Should this be neglected all the good results achieved can be undone with the teeth moving back to their old position.
Near Joshi Bunglow, Shastrinagar, Dombivali (West) 421202.